What better rice krispie treats to have for Christmas than Grinch Rice Krispie Treats!
I love watching How The Grinch Stole Christmas during the holiday season. The boys also enjoy the movie so I decided to make some delicious treats for a movie night.
The recipe for these treats is based on my Best Rice Krispie Treat recipe. The recipe makes delicious and gooey rice krispie treats.
Tips for making Grinch Rice Krispie Treats
- A 16 oz bag of Mini Marshmallows is equal to 8 cups. Before starting, measure out 2 cups of marshmallows to prepare.
- Use non-stick cooking spray. Spray the dish that the treats will be placed in and the spatula that you plan to pat the treats into shape. This will help the treats not to stick.
How to make Grinch Hearts on the Treats
For these treats, we drew hearts on each treat with red candy melts.
Use disposable icing bags for the candy melts. This way you can heat the candy melts in the bag according to the directions, use, and toss. It makes for easy cleanup. Just snip the end when ready and pipe on the hearts.
It doesn’t take long for candy melts to cool and harden. So work quickly when piping the hearts. If you need to, reheat the candy and finish piping.
If you want more ideas for the holiday season, check out these Christmas Rice Krispie Treats.
How To Make Grinch Rice Krispie Treats
Turning the treats green and adding a red heart reminds me of the Grinch’s heart and how it grew at the end of the movie.
A simple treat for a Grinch Movie Night.
Grinch Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 10 drops green food coloring
- red candy melts
- Slowly melt the butter in a large pan, low heat.
- Once butter is melted, add vanilla and 6 cups of marshmallows. Melt the marshmallows slowly.
- Right before the marshmallows are fully melted, add milk and the other 2 cups of marshmallows. Stir until the added marshmallows are starting to melt. (we don’t want them fully melt so you will have a lumpy fluff)
- Add the food coloring. Adjust amount to your taste.
- Add the Rice Krispie Cereal. Stir until the cereal is fully coated with the marshmallow fluff.
- Dump into an 9 x 13 greased dish. Use a greased spatula to spread out the treats and press down.
- Allow to fully cool before cutting.
- Melt the red candy melts in a disposable bag in the microwave according to instructions.
- Pipe hearts onto each treat.
- Once the candy melts have harden, serve.