A delicious apple cupcake topped with caramel buttercream frosting. This caramel apple cupcakes recipe is a perfect Fall Treat.
I got to thinking about Fall time the other day and of course apple recipes came to mind. Instantly, my mind went to apple caramel cupcakes.
I have never worked with fruit in my cupcakes before. I have used different flavored extracts but not the real fruit. Maybe that is why I wanted to make them so bad – a new challenge.
The first thing I did before making these cupcakes, I went and bought an apple peeler. I had never used one and I just didn’t feel like peeling apples.
Tip: The apple peeler will come in handy when peeling potatoes – Score!
The caramel buttercream frosting is the same frosting that I used on my Snickers Cupcakes It is really simple to make.
Drizzling caramel over the top just makes them so irresistible.
TIP: When putting your cupcakes into your lined cupcake tin, use an ice cream scoop with a trigger. It makes filling SO easy.
The cupcakes do seem a little bit muffin-like but they are very good. A must try in my book and I am so glad I tried making them.
Caramel Apple Cupcakes Recipe
Yield 12 Cupcakes
Delicious Caramel Apples Cupcakes. These apple cupcakes are topped with Caramel Frosting and drizzled with caramel.
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup PLUS 2 tablespoons buttermilk, room temperature
- 1½ cups shredded Gala apples (about 2 medium apples, peeled and cored)
Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caramel topping (like what you would buy for ice cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with a mixer until it is soft and creamy
- Add the sugar to the butter and beat until mixed.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until completely mixed together.
- Add about half the flour mix and blend on low speed.
- Add in the buttermilk and mix on low speed.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and mix on low speed until mostly combined.
- Fold in the shredded apples (and any juice) into the batter.
- Divide the batter between 12 cupcake cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in the center and it comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to fully cool before adding frosting.
Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- Cream the butter, caramel topping, and salt in your stand mixer.
- Add the powdered sugar. Mix until you have the desired consistency
- Place the frosting into a piping bag with your favorite tip. Pipe onto the cupcakes once they are cooled.
optional: Drizzle caramel over the top of the cupcakes.
You Are Also Going To Love:
Studies have shown if you loved this Caramel Apple Cupcakes Recipe, you are going to love the following articles. Just click on the image to go to the article.