These easy cheese enchiladas will be a big hit with your family! Adding the rice makes for a great dinner meal!
This is a great cheese enchilada recipe that your kids can help make. Dividing up the cheese in even portions is a great way to practice fractions. We love enchiladas at our house and they make great leftovers. These cook up well in an 8 x 11 baking dish.
Want to change things up with these cheese enchiladas? Try out these variations:
- The first problem I had was not knowing what to do with the extra tortillas since I typically buy a package that has 10-12 tortillas. Instead of having odds and ends in my freezer until the next batch of enchiladas, I decided to simply make more. All I did was add an additional bag of cheese, a second can of sauce, and doubled the spices. We love cheese in our house so doubling the cheese was welcomed. Just use a full bag in the mixture and use the second bag to cover the top after the first 30 minutes of baking.
- Since I was already doubling the recipe, I decided to use 2- 8×8 glass dishes so I could use 2 different sauces. I make one pan with green chile and one with red. The Old El Paso enchilada sauce works great and there is a variety of red and green sauce in mild, medium, or hot.
- I’ve also substituted the cheese mixture for browned ground beef prepared with taco seasoning.
How would you change up these cheese enchiladas?Print
Easy Cheese Enchiladas makes for a great dinner. Adding the rice makes for the perfect side for these enchiladas. Kids will love this dish!
- 1 cup of white rice, uncooked
- 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 8 small tortillas
- 2 cups shredded colby-jack cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (I usually leave these out as we don’t particularly like onions)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Cook your rice according to the instructions.
- Spread the rice on the bottom of an 8 x 11 baking dish.
- Pour about half the enchilada sauce on top of the rice.
- Mix your spices with 1 1/4 cups of cheese in a bowl.
- Add enough enchilada sauce to the cheese mixture just to make it stick together.
- Warm up the tortillas but placing them in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
- Divide the cheese mixture evenly between the 8 tortillas.
- Roll the tortillas into small cylinders and place them on top of the rice in the baking dish. Make sure it is seam side down.
- Spoon the rest of the enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas.
- Cover with foil tightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and add remaining cheese to the top of the enchiladas and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 403
- Sugar: 21.6 g
- Sodium: 3135.1 mg
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 56.4 g
- Fiber: 6.4 g
- Protein: 16.5 g
- Cholesterol: 25.1 mg
Keywords: Easy Cheese Enchiladas Recipe with Rice