Needing a cupcake idea that uses a bit of mint? These Vanilla Mint Cupcakes will be perfect.
I chose to try and make the cupcakes and frosting by scratch since I hadn’t ever done that. I have always been a box cake/buy the frosting type of girl.
I was very pleased on how these turned out. The frosting was very hard to stay out of. It adds just the right amount of cool mint flavor to the cupcakes.
Vanilla Mint Cupcakes RecipePrint
- 3 cups of flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pure mint extract
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup milk
- Andes Mints (optional)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3-4 cups of powdered sugar, Sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pure mint extract
- up to 4 tablespoons milk
- Food Coloring Gel – optional
- In a medium-sized bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set it aside.
- Cream butter and sugar with your electric/stand mixer until fluffy.
- Add the eggs and egg whites one at a time and mix on slow speed.
- Add vanilla and mint extracts and vegetable oil and mix until blended.
- On slow speed add the contents of the medium-sized bowl, don’t over mix.
- Add milk and mix for about 30 seconds on slow, then scrap the bowl (including the bottom) and mix again for another 30 seconds. The batter should be smooth.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter into your cupcake liners.
- Bake 20-22 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Allow to cool before frosting.
- Beat the butter for a few minutes using your mixer on medium speed.
- Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until blended.
- Add the mint extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk. Mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- If you need stiffer frosting, add the remaining sugar.
- If you need a thinner frosting, add the remaining milk.
- Add your food coloring gel until you get the color desired. (optional)
Add an Andes Mint to the cupcake after frosting.