Chocolate Peppermint cookies are perfect for Christmas time! Cookies with chocolate, white chocolate, and peppermint – a delicious combination!
Ingredients you will need
- Unsalted butter
- White Sugar
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Instant Coffee
- All-purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- White Chocolate Chips
- Candy Canes, crushed
- Peppermint Extract – this will help bring out the peppermint flavor
Optional Ingredient Swaps
A few suggestions for swapping ingredients:
- Switch out the flour for gluten-free flour. I have not made these cookies with gluten-free flour, but I would assume the conversion is a 1 to 1 ratio with all-purpose flour.
- You may use less chocolate chips.
- If you only have salted butter on hand, you can use this instead of unsalted butter. Just do not add salt in the recipe.
Why Use Instant Coffee in Chocolate Recipes?
When you use coffee in a chocolate recipe, like these cookies, it amplifies the chocolate flavor.
Tips & Tricks
- If you are reusing the same cookie sheet, let it cool completely before placing new batter on the cookie sheets.
- Feel free to use less chocolate chips if you desire.
- If a cookie scoop/ice cream scoop is not used, you can use a spoon to scoop 2 tablespoons of dough and roll the batter into a ball.
- If you do not want to use a spoon to drizzle the white chocolate, place the white chocolate in a ziplock bag (or piping bag) and cut the end off. Then drizzle over the cookies.
- If you do not have an electric mixer, you can hand mix. It will be a good arm workout.
How to Store Chocolate Peppermint Cookies?
Store the cooled Chocolate peppermint cookies in an air-tight container for 3-5 days.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter browned
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- candy canes crushed
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Preheat the over to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Brown the butter in a small sauepan for 15 minutes or until brown and set aside.
- In a large-sized bowl mix together the white sugar, cocoa powder, egg, vanilla, coffee, and browned butter.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt with a small whisk or fork.
- Add the flour mixture to the large bowl and mix with a hand mixer until combined. Take care and scrap the sides of the bowl with a spatula when needed.
- Fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Use a cookie scoop and place them onto the cookie sheets. Press down a little to create a more compact and uniform shape
- Bake for 8-9 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before placing them on a wire rack to cool.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in a glass bowl in the microwave for 15 seconds and mix. Repeat this 3 times or until melted.
- Add the peppermint extract to the melted white chocolate chips and mix.
- Drizzle the white chocolate over the cookies with a spoon.
- Immediately sprinkel the crushed candy canes over the cookies.
- If you are using the same cookie sheet each time, allow the cookie sheet to fully cool before adding new batter.