A hearty slow cooker vegetable soup is a huge favorite for the family, as the flavor is so robust, as the red bell pepper, smoked paprika, and red pepper flakes really add that kick.
This is a huge favorite of mine because everything goes in the crockpot all at once. There is a lot going on, as there are so many vegetables, which makes this a very healthy and comforting soup on those cold winter days.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
- smoked paprika
- onion powder
- red pepper flakes
- Italian seasoning
- Better Than Bouillon vegetable base
- bay leaf
- tomato paste
- red bell pepper
- yellow onion
- green beans
- diced tomatoes
- vegetable broth
- pearled barley, cooked
How To Make Vegetable Soup In A Slow Cooker
Place all the ingredients, except the barley, into the slow cooker.
Either cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours until the carrots are tender.
Before serving, add in the cooked barley and stir.
Make sure you discard the bay leaf before serving.
Can I Add Meat to Vegetable Soup?
Sure! Feel free to add ground beef, turkey, or chicken to this soup.
Substitutions for Ingredients
If you do not have some of the ingredients, here are some substitutions:
Chicken or beef stock for vegetable stock.
Rice for barley.
Paprika for smoked paprika.
Additional Add-Ins for Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
Mix it up with these addition add-ins:
- bean (white beans or chickpeas)
- frozen cheese tortellini or ravioli
How To Convert This Slow Cooker Recipe To An Instant Pot Recipe
To make this vegetable soup in the Instant Pot, all the ingredients, except the barley, into the Instant Pot.
Select Manual and cook for 5 minutes. Let it naturally release for at least 15 minutes.
Once complete, stir in the barley and serve.
Storing Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
Store leftover soup in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
If the soup thickens while in the fridge, you can add a bit more vegetable broth while heating up the soup. Start with a 1/4 of a cup of broth and stir to get the consistency you would like.
The vegetable soup can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup frozen green beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks peeled and chopped
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ¾ cup pearled barley cooked
- Place all the ingredients (except the barley) in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours until the carrots are tender.
- Before serving add in the cooked barley and stir.
- Discard the bay leaf.