It’s time to start skipping the can of tomato soup and make this easy homemade tomato soup. Enjoy this creamy tomato soup any time of the year, and it pairs wonderfully with a grilled cheese sandwich.
What kitchen items will I need to make this recipe?
This recipe does require the use of an Instant Pot and an immersion blender. A regular blender will work, but with an immersion blender, you skip the step of transferring the hot soup to the blender. The Immersion blender lets you blend right in the Instant Pot.
Why do I love using my Instant Pot for making this soup?
The Instant Pot makes making soup extremely easy. Besides Sautéing the garlic, I don’t have to watch the soup to make sure it isn’t boiling over or making a mess. It is contained inside the pressure cooker, and I don’t have to worry about it. Once the lid goes on, I am off working on other tasks around the house—easy worry-free cooking.
How to make creamy homemade tomato soup from scratch?
Select Sauté on the Instant Pot and adjust to Normal. Add the butter. Once melted, add the garlic cloves and cook for about 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, stir in the tomato paste. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Press Cancel.
Now add the chicken broth, tomatoes, and sugar (or honey). Secure the lid and make sure the pressure release valve is closed.
Select Manual and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Use a natural release to depressurize after cooking is finished.
Once depressurized, remove the lid. Using the immersion blender, blend the soup until the smooth.
Stir in cream.
How long can you store homemade tomato soup in the fridge?
Any leftover tomato soup can placed in the refrigerator in an container with an air-tight lid for about 3 days.
What type of tomatoes should I use for homemade tomato soup?
I prefer to use a 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes. However, a can of whole tomatoes will work. I believe the diced tomatoes are easier for the immersion blender to chop, which is why they are my preferred choice.
Creamy Homemade Tomato Soup RecipePrint
This recipe for homemade tomato soup is easy to make and tastes delicious! Serve this creamy soup with a side of grilled cheese. YUM!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes (or whole)
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 1 cup heavy cream (or whipping cream)
- Select Sauté in the Instant Pot and choose Normal. Allow the butter to melt.
- Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook (while stirring) for 1 minute.
- Press Cancel.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, and sugar.
- Secure the lid and make sure the pressure valve is closed.
- Select Manual and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Allow for a natural release for depressurization.
- Remove the lid once the Instant Pot is fully depressurized.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup smooth.
- Stir in the cream.
- Serve warm.
Keywords: homemade tomato soup