Delicious Red Velvet Blossom Cookies!
Need a sweet dessert for your Valentine? These cookies are perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Get the full recipe instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Here is a brief description with photographs.
First, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
Then in another bowl, you will cream together sugar, butter, egg, milk, vanilla and red food coloring.
Mix the dry ingredients with the red mixture. The batter will become a brick red color.
Once the batter has chilled for 30 minutes, roll into 1 and a half inch balls and roll them in the sparkling sugar. Place on a cookie sheet for baking.
After baking, allow to cool for 5 minutes. Add the Hugs while the cookies are still warm.
Red Velvet Blossom Cookies Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Hersheys dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1/2 cup sparkling sugar or you can use granulated sugar
- 24 Hershey's Hugs unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, butter, egg, milk, vanilla and red food coloring. Cream the ingredients together until well incorporated. (The color will turn pink because of the food coloring).
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients into the pink batter and mix well until combined. The batter will become a dark rich brick red color.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes for easier handling.
- Once chilled, roll the dough into 1-1/2 inch balls and then roll into a shallow bowl of sparkling sugar. Place on the lined cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes. While still warm, insert a Hersheys hug in the middle of each cookie, pressing down gently.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to complete the cooling process.