Delicious Pokemon cupcakes made with a doctored up cake mix and fondant Poke Balls! Perfect cupcake idea for a birthday party!
I have never used fondant before. I have not even tasted fondant before making these cupcakes.
When I had the idea to make Poke Ball cupcakes, I knew I had to make them fondant. It was a whole new concept to me.
After watching a few You Tube videos, I decided I could do this. I could make these cupcakes work.
How To assemble the Fondant Poke Balls:
- Knead and roll out the white fondant on a surface dusted with powdered sugar. You want it to be THIN.
- Using a circle cutter a bit larger than your cupcake, cut the amount of circles you need for the cupcakes.
- Knead and roll out the red fondant on a surface dusted with powdered sugar.
- Using the Poke Ball cutter, cut out the shapes. You will only be using the halves (not the stripe down the middle).
- Using a brush, apply water to the back of the half ball. Place it on one half of the white disc.
- Knead and roll out the black fondant on a surface dusted with powdered sugar.
- Using the Poke Ball cutter, cut out the black strip (make sure to take out the middle in the circle).
- Brush water on the back and place it against the red half.
- Dust off any powdered sugar that might be on the top.
- Using a circle cutter the same size of the cupcake. This will give the topper and nice clean edge.
Tip: You may need a sharp knife to cut out the Poke Ball Shapes.
To assemble the Pokemon cupcakes:
- Put a small amount of buttercream frosting on top of the cupcakes (do not go to the edges)
- Place the fondant Poke Balls on top of the frosting and press down gently.
Betty Crocker Super Moist Cake Mix, White, 16.25 oz. Box (Pack of 6)Pokemon Inspired Ball Cookie Cutter (2 inch)Wilton 710-2304 Decorator Preferred Fondant, 24-Ounce, RedWilton 710-2301 Decorator Preferred Fondant, 24-Ounce, WhiteWilton 710-2303 Decorator Preferred Fondant, 24-Ounce, Black
Pokemon Cupcake Recipe
Yield 30 cupcakes
Super fun Pokemon Cupcakes perfect for a Pokemon themed party!
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of powered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- up to 2 tablespoons milk
- White Fondant
- Black Fondant
- Red Fondant
- In a large bowl mix cake mix, flour, sugar, salt, water, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, sour cream, and egg whites until well blended.
- Add cupcake liners to your cupcake tin.
- Scoop your cupcake batter into the prepared cupcake tin. Make sure not to get them more than 3/4 full.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before adding frosting.
- Beat the butter for a few minutes using your mixer on medium speed.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until blended.
- Add the vanilla extract, salt, and 1 tablespoon of milk. Mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- If you need stiffer frosting, add the remaining sugar.
- If you need a thinner frosting, add the remaining milk.
- See post for instructions on how to assemble.
24 POKEMON I CHOOSE YOU CUPCAKE RINGS CAKE TOPPERS24pcs Pokemon Go Pikachu Cupcake Toppers Picks Candy Bar Fruit Picks Baby Shower Kids Birthday Party SuppliesGeneric Pokemon Pikachu Monster Mini Plastic Figure (24 Piece), SmallPokemon Cupcake Toppers Poke Ball With Surprise Pokemon Toy Figure Hidden Inside And Pikachu Tattoos Set of 12Betop House Set of 24 Pieces Pikachu Pokemon Themed Decorative Cupcake Topper for Kids Gathering Birthday Party