Delicious Pokemon cupcakes made with a doctored up cake mix and fondant Poke Balls! Perfect cupcake idea for a birthday party!
I have never used fondant before. I have not even tasted fondant before making these cupcakes.
When I had the idea to make Poke Ball cupcakes, I knew I had to make them fondant. It was a whole new concept to me.
After watching a few You Tube videos, I decided I could do this. I could make these cupcakes work.
How To assemble the Fondant Poke Balls:
- Knead and roll out the white fondant on a surface dusted with powdered sugar. You want it to be THIN.
- Using a circle cutter a bit larger than your cupcake, cut the amount of circles you need for the cupcakes.
- Knead and roll out the red fondant on a surface dusted with powdered sugar.
- Using the Poke Ball cutter, cut out the shapes. You will only be using the halves (not the stripe down the middle).
- Using a brush, apply water to the back of the half ball. Place it on one half of the white disc.
- Knead and roll out the black fondant on a surface dusted with powdered sugar.
- Using the Poke Ball cutter, cut out the black strip (make sure to take out the middle in the circle).
- Brush water on the back and place it against the red half.
- Dust off any powdered sugar that might be on the top.
- Using a circle cutter the same size of the cupcake. This will give the topper and nice clean edge.
Tip: You may need a sharp knife to cut out the Poke Ball Shapes.
To assemble the Pokemon cupcakes:
- Put a small amount of buttercream frosting on top of the cupcakes (do not go to the edges)
- Place the fondant Poke Balls on top of the frosting and press down gently.
Super fun Pokemon Cupcakes perfect for a Pokemon themed party!
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of powered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- up to 2 tablespoons milk
- White Fondant
- Black Fondant
- Red Fondant
- In a large bowl mix cake mix, flour, sugar, salt, water, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, sour cream, and egg whites until well blended.
- Add cupcake liners to your cupcake tin.
- Scoop your cupcake batter into the prepared cupcake tin. Make sure not to get them more than 3/4 full.
- Bake at 325 degrees for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before adding frosting.
- Beat the butter for a few minutes using your mixer on medium speed.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until blended.
- Add the vanilla extract, salt, and 1 tablespoon of milk. Mix on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- If you need stiffer frosting, add the remaining sugar.
- If you need a thinner frosting, add the remaining milk.
- See post for instructions on how to assemble.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 134
- Sugar: 14.2 g
- Sodium: 154.5 mg
- Fat: 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.9 g
- Fiber: 0.1 g
- Protein: 1.9 g
- Cholesterol: 35.6 mg
Keywords: pokemon cupcakes