Delicious Pokemon cupcakes made with a doctored up cake mix and fondant Poke Balls! Perfect for a birthday party!
I have never used fondant before. I have not even tasted fondant before making these cupcakes.
When I had the idea to make Poke Ball cupcakes, I knew I had to make them fondant. It was a whole new concept to me.
After watching a few You Tube videos, I decided I could do this. I could make these cupcakes work.
To assemble the Poke Balls:
- Knead and roll out the white fondant on a surface dusted with powdered sugar. You want it to be THIN.
- Using a circle cutter a bit larger than your cupcake, cut the amount of circles you need for the cupcakes.
- Knead and roll out the red fondant on a surface dusted with powdered sugar.
- Using the Poke Ball cutter, cut out the shapes. You will only be using the halves (not the stripe down the middle).
- Using a brush, apply water to the back of the half ball. Place it on one half of the white disc.
- Knead and roll out the black fondant on a surface dusted with powdered sugar.
- Using the Poke Ball cutter, cut out the black strip (make sure to take out the middle in the circle).
- Brush water on the back and place it against the red half.
- Dust off any powdered sugar that might be on the top.
- Using a circle cutter the same size of the cupcake. This will give the topper and nice clean edge.
Tip: You may need a sharp knife to cut out the Poke Ball Shapes.
To assemble the cupcakes:
- Put a small amount of buttercream frosting on top of the cupcakes (do not go to the edges)
- Place the fondant Poke Balls on top of the frosting and press down gently.