Crochet baby hats continue to grow in popularity. When I became more experienced in crochet my friends and family started to ask me to make baby hats for their kids to use as photo props. As I continued to crochet baby hats, I began researching new stitches and ways that I could incorporate some personality into them!
At first, the thought of crocheting in the round was scary to this girl, who only had experience with straight stitches. However, I now feel that crocheting hats are actually easier, and a bit more forgiving! Plus, seeing a handmade crochet hat on a newborn baby is the most rewarding feeling ever. I hope you enjoy this adorable list we’ve put together for you!
20 Free Crochet Baby Hat Patterns
1. Simple Crochet Baby Hat Pattern with Flower – Midwestern Moms
A beginning crochet hat pattern that you can switch up to make your own. Add a cute 5-petal flower in the color of your choice.
2. Striped Crochet Baby Hat – Midwestern Moms
A cute crochet baby hat using your favorite colors in a striped pattern.
3. Patriotic Baby Hat Pattern For A Girl – Midwestern Moms
This adorable hat will have a little girl rocking the red, white and blue. I just love the little stars that are added to the hat.
4. Patriotic Crochet Hat Pattern for a Boy – Midwestern Moms
We don’t want to leave out the boys. They can sport their red, white and blue, with this striped beanie hat.
5. Puppy Love Hat – Whistle and Ivy
Adorable crochet pattern in toddler size with hearts and a pom!
6. Crochet Football Earflap Hat Pattern – Repeat Crafter Me
A perfect project for your little linebacker.
7. Minnie Mouse Inspired Baby Hat Crochet Pattern – Hopeful Honey
What an adorable hat for Disney lovers! I love the bow on this hat. So cute!
8. Bubble Gum Newborn Hat – Make it Handmade
The double poms just make this hat! It reminds me of Abby from Fraggle Rock.
9. Lacy Shells Hat – Alli Crafts
The crochet shell pattern makes for the coolest texture on this hat. I love the flower on it also.
10. Baby Pumpkin Crochet Beanie Pattern – FaveCrafts
Perfect for baby’s first Halloween costume! I love the curly vine on top of this hat.
11. Baby Chick or Baby Bird Hat – Free Crochet Patterns by Darlene
A great hat for a baby girl or boy!
12. Julia’s Hat – Pattern Paradise
A modified x-stitch with a great flower adornment.
13. Crochet Newborn Hat Pattern – Projects Around the House
I love how the stripe and bow ties in so nicely on this hat. Super cute!
14. Herringbone Baby Hat Pattern – Little Monkey’s Crochet
Adorable hat using the herringbone stitch. This would look cute on either a little boy or girl!
15. Crochet Fox Baby Hat and Diaper Cover – Croby Patterns
Colorful and cute fox pattern, complete with a diaper cover! Would be a great set for baby pictures.
16. Long Tailed Baby Hat – Holyjeans & My Favorite Things
A hat that would definitely make a great photo prop! I’m already thinking of ways to customize the colors.
17. Baby Button Trapper Hat – Whistle and Ivy
Oh my gosh, the cuteness! Perfect for baby girls or boys!
18. Sweet Bunny Hat – Red Heart
The floppy ears on this bunny hat are adorable! Would be a fun hat for spring!
19. Acorn Beanie – Lakeview Cottage Kids
This hat looks super soft, and I love the button accessory.
20. Crochet Penguin Hat Pattern – Repeat Crafter Me
Penguin hat that can be customized with a bow for a girl or without for a boy. Be sure to check out this site for several other free crochet hat patterns!
21. Stepping Texture Hat – Bernat
Beautiful textured hat with a pom. Love this!
22. Elephant Crochet Hat – Jenny and Teddy
Another perfect newborn photo prop. I love elephants!
What are some of your favorite stitches to use in crochet hats?
Free Printable Crochet Hat Measurement Chart
To get a free printable crochet hat measurement chat, simply enter your email into the newsletter box below. It will subscribe you to the crochet portion of my newsletter. If you are interested in other topics, please read the welcome email and follow the instructions.
Already a subscriber? Great! Still, put your email in to trigger the printable email to be sent to you.