Baby wipes are something that every mom uses to clean up her baby during changing time. Several moms have told me that they make their own baby wipes, which seemed very economical to me.
Why make your own baby wipes? Several reasons come to mind.
- My child has a sensitive bottom and I want to control what goes on it to prevent diaper rash.
- I hate running to the store just to make a trip to purchase baby wipes.
- I feel they are a bit better at cleaning up #2 because of the stiffness of the paper.
- It saves you money! I was able to purchase enough materials to make 32 weeks worth of wipes for less than you can buy a 3 pack for in the store, which might last 6 weeks.
All I have to say is thank goodness for You Tube! I found this video by Babies411, which I followed to make my wipes.
Homemade Baby Wipes
- 1 Roll Paper Towels (I used Viva because they are soft)
- 1 Large Kitchen Knife
- 1 Tbsp Baby Wash
- 1/2 Tbsp Baby Oil
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Large Container for Storage
Step 1: Using your large kitchen knife, cut the roll of paper towels in half. I used my husband for this step because we all know that it is not safe to allow me to use a large knife.
Step 2: Since I used an empty container from another brand I had previously purchased, I had to fold my towels to fit into the container. You can also use a large round container as they do in the video if you want to skip this step. Take the paper towels and fold it back and forth where the sheets can be easily dispensed one at a time from the top of the container.
Step 3: Stir your baby wash and baby oil into the water. I took a picture of the products I used, but you can find many other recipes on this website.
Step 4: Pour the mixture over the wipes. Close the top of the container and all this to sit for approximately 10 minutes.
Step 5: Open top of container and flip wipes over using clean hands. Allow them to sit for another 10 minutes before using or storing for later usage.
That is it! Super simple, right? My favorite part about this is that I can sit and fold the paper towels into the container while I watch TV and can make wipes at ANY time during the day!
My next mission will be creating a travel-sized, washable, wipe container. 🙂
Do you have any great tips to share on making baby wipes?