This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through one of these links, I do receive commission. For information, read my full disclosure statement.

DIY Organization Solution – Grocery Bag Holder

How many of you bring home plastic grocery bags from the store and shove them under the sink to use for later?

*raises hand* I’m guilty.

I save all plastic bags because I often use them as trash bag liners in my bathrooms. I also cut them up and make plarn to make bags, rugs and other random “stuff” with.
Grocery Bag Holder

Since my husband informed me that I was one plastic trash bag away from an episode of hoarders, I decided that I should probably come up with an easier storage solution quickly.

Luckily, I cruise Pinterest more than the average person, so I  had kept this handy tutorial over at Tatertots and Jello around for a rainy (err… snowy) day activity.

DIY Grocery Bag Holder

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

I am listing out my supplies that I used because the tutorial above calls for fabric, and I used scrapbook paper for my project.

• 12 Plastic shopping bags
  • Round cleaning wipes container
  • Scrapbook Paper
  • Ruler
  • Paper Cutter
  • Mod Podge (I used the glossy for paper)
  • Foam Brush

Instructions

Please visit this post on Infarrantly Creative for instructions on how to roll the plastic bags and adhere the paper to the container to complete this project.

After I completed this project, my husband looked at me, looked at the decorated container and rolled his eyes. He pulled a bottle of pop from the refrigerator and said, would you like to use this too after I’m done with it. Why yes, Mr. SmartyPants, I would. :) Thus is the life of a crafter.

Oh, and once I showed him what the container had it in AND the extra space that we now had under our sink… he shut his mouth.

I hope you enjoyed this post. Please check out our crafts section for more tutorials and DIY ideas.

Filed Under: Crafts

Email Updates

Comments

• amanda says

Dee – These are great to keep in your car also for trips! I’m going to make another as soon as I have a free container.

1. says

Great idea and a useful way to re-used those plastic bags. Also a wonderful way to keep them compacted inside the holder. I was thinking that might work for storage of my bags until I craft with them. Thanks for sharing the handy ideas.

2. says

That is a good idea. I think I might have more than 12 bags lying around though. I always seem to forget my reusable bags. Then after my cupboard gets full to the brim of plastic bags, I bring them to the store for recycle. LOL!

I love Pinterest too, btw! Such great ideas.

3. Christi says

This project is such a great idea! I came across a website that sells printable vinyl, that is what i’m going to use instead of scrapbook paper and glue. You just print out a scrapbook paper pattern, cut to size peal and stick its that easy! Thanks for the great idea! The web site is http://www.cricketcandy.com

4. says

This is a really great idea. It’s simple, easy and so useful. I have a ton of plastic bags taking up space and had been thinking I needed a container of some sort to put them in. This is super cute and I love how you’re reusing the bags as well as the container. You rock!

5. says

oh, I love this idea. I always try to reuse the sanitizer wipe containers this is perfect! Our town is not going to allow plastic bags any more, but we have a bunch & I like to reuse them to be greener.
    drop by my site if you like & enter just by commenting for a family movie & book! Had a nice visit on your site today.

6. Tillie says

I use one of these for unseen spare change in my car… so I better not do that one..Lol But I do love your idea for the grocery bags, thanks

• amanda says

Thank you! It is a great idea to use them for spare change also! I try to recycle any containers I can :)

7. Michelle says

Love this!

so much nicer then those fabric tubes to stuff them in….. I going to have to make a few of these I’m sure…. I use my recyclable bags for trash liners and I refill my bean bags with them too, after scrunching them up….

8. Ashley says

Found this on Pinterest and just made one, I love it! Takes up so much less space and looks so much better

9. Heather Blankenship says

Love this Idea! My husband hates that I save everything, but if it can be used why throw it away! I’m so making these I might need 2 or 3 lol !

10. Debra says

Amanda, do you crochet? Have you thought about using the tape from old VHS tapes to make purses or other things? This has nothing to do with your ingenius plastic bag idea. Kudos by the way.

Trackbacks