Delicious Sausage Wheels perfect for any meal.
- 1/4 ounce package yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 scalded milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups of flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb Johnsonville Italian Sausage, cooked and drained.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg.
- Mix in 2 cups of flour in the large bowl until it is smooth.
- Add the yeast mixture to the large bowl.
- Mix in the remaining flour until the dough is easy to handle.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place in a well greased bowl and cover. Allow to rise for about 1 hour (or until about double in size).
- Once the dough has risen, punch the dough down. Roll it out on a floured surface to the approx. size of 15 by 9 inches.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the Sausage mix ingredients (sour cream, sausage, and cheese).
- Spread the Sausage mixture over the dough evenly.
- Beginning with the 15 inch side, roll up the dough (like a cinnamon roll). Pinch together the ends to seal it.
- Cut into slices, 10 to 12 (or however many you wish).
- Grease the bottom of a baking pan (We used round cake pans but you may use any baking dish). Place the wheels close together in the pan. Cover and let rise another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Once the time is up, pull the pans out of the oven and sprinkle the topping over the wheels, starting with the bacon and ending with cheese.
- Bake another 10 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 503
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 938.9 mg
- Fat: 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 18.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.3 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 13.6 g
- Cholesterol: 97.7 mg
Keywords: sausage wheels