Delicious Red Velvet Blossom Cookies!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Hersheys dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter – softened
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1/2 cup sparkling sugar (or you can use granulated sugar)
- 24 Hershey’s Hugs – unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, butter, egg, milk, vanilla and red food coloring. Cream the ingredients together until well incorporated. (The color will turn pink because of the food coloring).
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients into the pink batter and mix well until combined. The batter will become a dark rich brick red color.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes for easier handling.
- Once chilled, roll the dough into 1-1/2 inch balls and then roll into a shallow bowl of sparkling sugar. Place on the lined cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes. While still warm, insert a Hersheys hug in the middle of each cookie, pressing down gently.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to complete the cooling process.
Store cookies in an airtight container for up to one week.
Keywords: Red Velvet Blossom Cookies