Super cute handwriting sugar cookies perfect for back-to-school or teacher gifts!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- black gel food coloring
- Cream the soft butter with the sugar until the combination is smooth not grainy to the touch in a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and continue to mix.
- Add the vanilla and continue mixing together.
- Sift the four, baking soda, and salt together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Continue mixing to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Make the dough into a ball, wrap it in cling wrap completely covering the entire dough ball.
- Put in the refrigerator for about 6 hours or overnight. Check to see if the dough is firm.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pull the cookie dough out of the refrigerator and sit it out to soften up a bit.
- Put flour out on a flat surface, rub flour on a rolling pin, and if needed, work some flour into the batter.
- Roll the dough out and using the cookie cutter begin to cut out the cookies.
- Line the cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a metal spatula move the cut cookies to the parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 8 minutes. Check to see if the cookies are thoroughly baked.
- Take the cookies off of the cookie sheet and put on a wire rack to cool completely, about 10 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients (except the food coloring) in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 cup powder sugar.
- Scoop some white icing into a piping bag with a number 2 tip.
- Scoop some icing into another bowl and add a few drops of black food gel.
- Scoop some icing into a bag fitted with a number 2 tip.
- Squeeze the majority of the icing into a bowl then add 1 tsp of water to this icing and stir to mix the water and icing together.
- Pipe on a white outline with the white icing bag, fill in with the thinner white icing.
- Let the cookies dry, for at least 8 hours in a cooled oven before drawing on the lines and adding the letters.
- Using the edible blue marker, make paper lines as well as with the red marker.
- Using the black icing, pipe on letters.
- Let dry for 2 hours before bagging, should you decide to bag them up for gifts.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 4777
- Sugar: 398.3 g
- Sodium: 2815.6 mg
- Fat: 216.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 124 g
- Trans Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 662 g
- Fiber: 38.5 g
- Protein: 80.9 g
- Cholesterol: 1418.1 mg
Keywords: handwriting sugar cookies