The subject of work-life balance has come up a lot lately in conversations that I have had with my friends and fellow bloggers. It seems that we are all working toward the same goal – creating an environment where we have a healthy work-life balance.
Whether we are entrepreneurs by choice, or simply accident, our family is our number one priority. But, that doesn’t seem to stress us out any less when we have work deadlines come due that cause us to stay up until crazy hours in the night. After all, we want to ensure that we are also providing for that family as well!
Then, if you are anything like me, this is where the guilt begins to set in. You worry that you haven’t spent enough time with your kids, or that you have let a client down because you just couldn’t get that email sent during your child’s temper tantrum.
Moms, I am not here to solve this for you… I am here to tell you that it is normal.
We juggle so much during the day and each of us has a different situation at home. We need to start being proud of the achievements that we have made instead of wallowing in the guilt of not constantly being able to do it all.
We need to…. gasp….
Let. It. Go.
In a perfect world, can you achieve work-life balance? I don’t think it is possible. Scientifically, maybe – but emotionally, no.
I want to share with you some tips that I have found to help us with this subject. I hope that you will read over them and also feel free to leave your own in the comments below.
Helpful Hints to Help You Achieve a Better Balance
- Get rid of empty time sucks – ahem… stalking people on Facebook. Use your time wisely and on activities that build relationships or make you money.
- Schedule work time vs family time – for some of us, this tip is easier said than done. However, instead of scheduling exact times, I schedule blocks of time to get work related activities completed. When you have an active 2 year old, you never know what surprises the next 15 minutes of your life may hold.
- Outsource – You don’t have to do it all yourself. YOU – yes you, help out others all day long! It’s about time you aren’t afraid to ask for help in return.
- Take Notes – I live with a pen and paper beside me and note my priorities (or things I don’t want to forget to do) on it. If I didn’t do this small task, I would literally not have any idea what I am supposed to be doing because I have so many interruptions each day.
- Don’t forget to take some time out of your day for yourself. This is a very important step to achieving balance. Take care of YOU first.
Please share some of your helpful hints in the comments!