My oldest baby started school this year. Of course, the tears flowed after he made his way onto the bus and it pulled off to take him to his first day of school. They grow up way too fast.
Now that time with my oldest son is limited during the day after school time is the best to reconnect with him.
On the days that homework is sent home, the homework comes first. We work on the worksheets together and he has a little snack. He enjoys snacking on Goldfish Crackers and they always put a smile on his face. These will come in handy when math homework starts coming home. I am sure it will help with subtraction. 🙂
So what activities can be done to help with bonding after homework is done or on days with no homework?
5 activities to help bond with your child
1. Game Time: Spend some time playing a game with your child. A fun board game or card game is fun and will put smiles on both your faces. Pair it up with a snack too.
2. Spend Time Talking: Go to your child’s favorite spot and just have a heart to heart talk. Find out how their day at school went. What was their favorite part? What was exciting about the day? Did anything upset them? If it an area that snacks can go, pack up a little picnic. My son loves having a picnic.
3. Take A Walk: Make the walk a nature walk if possible. My son loves to walk and see what all wildlife and plants can be seen while walking. One evening, my son and husband brought home a caterpillar and he watched it go through its stages of life and released it into the wild.
4. Reading: Sit down with a book and read with your child. This helps them learn to read but gives you time with your child as well. Reading my son’s favorite books, even when he knows the story by heart, always puts a smile on his face.
5. Watch their favorite show or movie: Just hanging out and watching your child’s favorite show is a good way to relax with them. Gather up your favorite snacks and drinks and enjoy the show.
I mentioned snacks several times on this list because when my son gets home from school, he is asking for a snack. So, I am giving him a light snack before we have supper.
What is your favorite way to put a smile on your child’s face?