Does anyone else have too much stuff and nowhere to put it?
One of my goals for the year 2012 was to get this house organized! I tend to go about tackling projects like this on a room by room basis, taking inventory of what i have and then searching for creative ways to store items and save space. If you are a regular reader of my blog, you know that I am constantly trying to upcycle things that can buy me a little bit of extra storage room. Check out my post on the DIY Grocery Bag Holder that I created from a cleaning wipes container to get rid of the huge stack of grocery bags I had under my sink.
I also recently have tackled my daughter’s stuffed animals by hanging a net in the corner.
For additional inspiration on finding storage solutions for your home, visit the HouseLogic website. Here I found several creative ideas for how to store items that I like to keep handy. HouseLogic is the best go-to source for people wanting to get the most value and enjoyment out of their home.
My 10 Tips to Better Home Organization
- DeClutter – Pretend that you are getting ready to move and make 3 piles of your stuff: one to toss, one to keep, and one to give away.
- Tackle one project at a time. Only start something that you can finish within a few hours so that you don’t become overwhelmed and quit your task.
- Delegate – Unless you live alone, odds are your house didn’t get this way on it’s own. Give your family members each a small job to have them help out.
- Group like things together and place in totes or boxes. Add a label so that you know exactly what is in them when you need it. This way you won’t have to dig everything out of the box searching for things that you just have to put back again.
- Stack – When you purchase containers, make sure they are easily stackable so that they don’t take up much room when not being used.
- Search high and low for storage. Put stuffed animals in a net in the corner like I’ve done above or purchase a storage container made for under your bed to shore your winter clothes in.
- Repurpose old items to store new ones. Remember that ice cube tray that you no longer use because you have one in the fridge door now? Use it for jewelry or as a catch all for spare change! (Egg cartons work nicely for this purpose also.)
- Designate spaces for incoming mail. Incoming mail is one of the worst problems in our home. Designate a place for all bills and magazines to go and immediately throw out the junk.
- Buy drawer inserts, or make your own using cardboard. This way you can easily keep all of your socks together or find your daughter’s favorite shirt without making a mess of the entire drawer.
- Hang it! I love to hang anything that I can to keep it up off of surfaces, out of drawers and off the floor. I have my shoes hanging in my closet, a hair bow holder for all my daughter’s bows hanging on her wall and a magnetic board hanging that houses all of my beads and items for crafting.
What are some of your favorite home organization and space saving tips?
HouseLogic is a free source of information and tools from the National Association of Realtors® that helps homeowners make smart decisions and take responsible actions to maintain, protect, and enhance the value of their home. HouseLogic helps homeowners plan and organize their home projects and also provides how-tos, news, home improvement advice, and information about taxes, home finances, and insurance. Learn more at www.houselogic.com.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by HouseLogic via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of HouseLogic