Crochet baby hats continue to grow in popularity. When I became more experienced in crochet my friends and family started to ask me to make baby hats for their kids to use as photo props. As I continued to crochet baby hats, I began researching new stitches and ways that I could incorporate some personality into them!
At first, the thought of crocheting in the round was scary to this girl, who only had experience with straight stitches. However, I now feel that crocheting hats are actually easier, and a bit more forgiving! Plus, seeing a handmade crochet hat on a newborn baby is the most rewarding feeling ever. I hope you enjoy this adorable list we’ve put together for you!
Free Crochet Baby Hat Patterns
1. Simple Crochet Baby Hat Pattern with Flower – Midwestern Moms
A beginning crochet hat pattern that you can switch up to make your own. Add a cute 5-petal flower in the color of your choice.
2. Striped Crochet Baby Hat – Midwestern Moms
A cute crochet baby hat using your favorite colors in a striped pattern.
3. Puppy Love Hat – Whistle and Ivy
Adorable crochet pattern in toddler size with hearts and a pom!
4. Crochet Football Earflap Hat Pattern – Repeat Crafter Me
A perfect project for your little linebacker.
5. Minnie Mouse Inspired Baby Hat Crochet Pattern – Hopeful Honey
What an adorable hat for Disney lovers! I love the bow on this hat. So cute!
6. Bubble Gum Newborn Hat – Make it Handmade
The double poms just make this hat! It reminds me of Abby from Fraggle Rock.
7. Lacy Shells Hat – Alli Crafts
The crochet shell pattern makes for the coolest texture on this hat. I love the flower on it also.
8. Baby Pumpkin Crochet Beanie Pattern – FaveCrafts
Perfect for baby’s first Halloween costume! I love the curly vine on top of this hat.
9. Baby Chick or Baby Bird Hat – Free Crochet Patterns by Darlene
A great hat for a baby girl or boy!
10. Julia’s Hat – Pattern Paradise
A modified x-stitch with a great flower adornment.
11. Crochet Newborn Hat Pattern – Projects Around the House
I love how the stripe and bow ties in so nicely on this hat. Super cute!
12. Herringbone Baby Hat Pattern – Little Monkey’s Crochet
Adorable hat using the herringbone stitch. This would look cute on either a little boy or girl!
13. Crochet Fox Baby Hat and Diaper Cover – Croby Patterns
Colorful and cute fox pattern, complete with a diaper cover! Would be a great set for baby pictures.
14. Long Tailed Baby Hat – Holyjeans & My Favorite Things
A hat that would definitely make a great photo prop! I’m already thinking of ways to customize the colors.
15. Baby Button Trapper Hat – Whistle and Ivy
Oh my gosh, the cuteness! Perfect for baby girls or boys!
16. Sweet Bunny Hat – Red Heart
The floppy ears on this bunny hat are adorable! Would be a fun hat for spring!
17. Acorn Beanie – Lakeview Cottage Kids
This hat looks super soft, and I love the button accessory.
18. Crochet Penguin Hat Pattern – Repeat Crafter Me
Penguin hat that can be customized with a bow for a girl or without for a boy. Be sure to check out this site for several other free crochet hat patterns!
19. Stepping Texture Hat – Bernat
Beautiful textured hat with a pom. Love this!
20. Elephant Crochet Hat – Jenny and Teddy
Another perfect newborn photo prop. I love elephants!
What are some of your favorite stitches to use in crochet hats?